Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Play Highlight of the Month: Roy Keane

Where do I start? Actually, before I say anything. Here:
Keane and Vieira
Okay so I know usually you are supposed to give context for the story before showing the video, but I just couldn't do it. This guy is one of my favorite players of all time. This scuffle in the tunnel before the game all begins with Patrick Vieira and Gary Neville. As the story goes, Vieira, the Captain for Arsenal, was trying to intimidate Neville as he passed him to the front of the tunnel. Now someone who isn't a fan might ask, why didn't he just stand in the back of the line? Why did he have to pass Neville? Well, in soccer it is customary that the teams are lead out by the captains in the front followed by the goalie. So anyways, back to the story. Vieira is massive (6"4) and was known to be a bully on the field. Neville, on the other hand, was only about 5"10 with his cleats on. As told by Vieira himself, he told Neville that if he touched one of his players he would come after him. Now this didn't stick well with Roy Keane. The man supposedly came up like a madman claiming that he was picking on Gary Neville because he was a weak link. Which, then, led to the scrum in the video above. The two were both amazing players and to this day it is tough to find two players more passionate. But, as Keane stated a few years ago about who got the better of each other, "I'm convinced I dominated eight out of 10 games".


I love this guy. Watching this video makes me miss the old Manchester United so much. I know in the past I've talked about the frustrating season and how the team is underperforming. But more than anything, this guy was the difference at United's prime. The intensity. The pure love for the team he played for. He was awesome. Reckless? Sure, you could say that at times he was. I mean, several times he had tackles that ended a player's career. Like the one on Alf-Inge Haland, which saw his career ended.


The video shows why Keane retaliated a few years later with that tackle. Was it the right thing to do? Obviously not. But, in Keane's defense, the man was asking for it. And, as United fans used to say, don't fuck with Keano. He was quoted as saying "I'd waited long enough. I fucking hit him hard. The ball was there (I think). Take that you c*nt. And don't ever stand over me sneering about fake injuries. Of course, Keane later on said that this is not what he meant. Which, in reality is tough to believe because it was written in his book. 


Keane and Sir Alex
As such, I think that a lot of this extra stuff really hurt Keane's legacy. The man doesn't get enough credit for what he did for the club. When I say that, I mean both in a leadership role, and as a player. He converted himself from a more attacking midfielder to a field general. He was player of the year once. And a member of the team of the year 5 times. He won the league 7 times. And was a member of the ever-famous 1999 United team that won the treble. If there is one quote that stood out to me about Keane, it is Sir Alex Ferguson's about his performance during a vital game in 1999 that helped secure the team's historical season. Sir Alex said about Keane's performance that "it was the most emphatic display of selflessness I have seen on a football field. Pounding over every blade of grass, competing as if he would rather die of exhaustion than lose. he inspired all around him. I felt it was an honor to be associated with such a player."

As I do almost every time, I leave you with a great video of highlights from Keane's career. Watching this really got me amped up and excited. I hope this video allows you to at least see the intensity that he brought. 













No comments:

Post a Comment